Inner City LIFE

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Philadelphia Neighborhoods:

The city of Philadelphia has welcomed me with open arms. Before arriving, I had always heard Philadelphia describe in relation to other cities, whether it was "New York Light" or "Big Pittsburgh". As it turns out, Philadelphia effortlessly accomplishes having more character and identity than any other city I have known. Each neighborhood has its own vibe, but all of them are welcoming. The city is hip while unpretentious, daunting yet quaint, an the pride of Philadelphia is contagious.

The main neighborhoods in Philadelphia are University City/West Philly, Center City, Art Museum Area, Old City, Antique Row, North Philly, Olney, Oak Lane, Germantown, Manayunk, High society, Queens, and South Philly! As I said before each neighborhood has its own vibe and it is fantastic having us all spread out across Philly, so we can get the "favor" of each neighborhood. A good majority of us live in High Society, Queens and South (or Irish Town) Philly which are all in walking distance of each other.

I moved to South Philly three weeks ago. I live in a row house (three stories and a basement) with two girls an a guy. The neighborhood is NOT lacking character and from the outside you might think it looks a bit rough, but the people here are great and have welcomed us with open arms. What I love about South Philly is that I walk everywhere! I walk to the Italian Market to get fresh veggies, fruits and meats. I walk to South Street (with is like 6 street in Austin) which is an ecliptic street with little boutiques, restaurants, pubs and bars. And I walk to the subway. The only time I really drive my car is to work and if I am going out of the city. I love it!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Then just don't leave the city. It sounds FABULOUS!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Thanks Anne, I am trying to keep everyone updated.

Brent, I don't plan on it but sometimes you just have to get away.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home